Fight Back Against Identity Theft and Get Paid!
If you are a California resident and were the victim of identity theft, you may be entitled to recover up to $30,000 plus have the false debt removed. Here is what you need to do:
- Gather any documentation such as credit reports, collection letters, bills, etc. that show an identity thief has incurred charges or accessed your accounts causing you to owe money to some company.
- As soon as possible and certainly within four years of when you learn of the identity theft, file a police report in your local jurisdiction. You should also file a report with the Department of Motor Vehicles if you believe a phony or stolen driver’s license was used. You need to obtain a copy of the written report.
- Once you have the documentation and the police report, contact Lakeshore Law Center. We will evaluate your documentation for free. If it appears you have a valid case, we will send required prelitigation notices to your creditors.
- If we are able to have the fraudulent charges removed without having to file a lawsuit, then you owe this office a small fee. If we are not, then we may file a lawsuit on your behalf and you will not be responsible for any legal charges unless the lawsuit is successful.
- If we do file a lawsuit, and it is successful, you are entitled to have the fraudulent charges removed, to be paid for any actual damages you suffered, to recover an additional civil penalty of up to $30,000 and to be reimbursed for your legal fees.